Monday, September 19, 2022

Hikes without a car from Toronto - Algonquin Provincial Park - Highland backpacking trail

I can't believe that I have survived this long without a car (and, without knowing how to drive!) in North America. And, that has forced me to find ways to get to where I want to with public / shared transport. It has made me tremendously patient - you'll know what I mean if you've ever used public transport in North America outside of major cities. 

I moved to Canada in 2020 in the middle of Covid, pre-vaccination and when lockdowns were widespread. Almost all of 2021 passed by without much action. In 22, I wanted to get back to some form of normal like everyone else. For me, normalcy meant hunting down hikes within reach of public transport. I stumbled upon one of the best parks in the country, Algonquin Park in Ontario. ParkBus runs a point-to-point service from Tronno (what's in a name anyway!) to Algonquin. They were a godsend for people like me. I can't thank them enough for continuing to operate this summer. (I used a similar service in the US for skiing (Ovrride)). A video blog on this Algonquin trip is below and detailed itinerary follows: 




Detailed Itinerary:

Day 1: Toronto Downtown to Algonquin Park (ParkBus)

Hike to Provoking Lake from Lake of Two Rivers Store (Bus drop-off / pick-up point)

Night 1: Provoking Lake (back country)

Night 2: Harness Lake (back country)

Night 3: Head Lake (back country)

Night 4: Provoking Lake (back country)

Night 5: Lake of Two Rivers Campground (car access available to campground)

Day 6: Bus from Lake of Two Rivers Store to Toronto Downtown (ParkBus)

A detailed blog on my thoughts during this solo trip in bear country is still wrapped up in my mind and when I do manage to get it out, it'll be out here on this blog! 

No comments: